Saturday 8 December 2012

I got to run, run, run

It seems like ages ago already, but on 21st of October 2012 I've done second marathon this year. What's more the previous one was only three weeks ago. It was 34th Warsaw Marathon, where I've beaten my record by 28 seconds, and reached the excessive time of 4:19:26.
 
The second marathon was in Amsterdam. 37th Amsterdam Marathon. And even though the break between the two was so short I've again achieved my personal best, which is now 4:15:29.
 
I've been welcomed at the airport by a friend and his girl-friend. It was so sweet, they've been there with this sign, that is now on my fridge door.
 

The whole weekend was very relaxing, and except the run we did not do much. Picked our bibs, wandered around, had some food, watched a movie and that's it.


Bib collection

Marijn during bib collection

Amsterdam Olympic Stadium (Summer Olympic Games in 1928). Here the whole marathon infrastructure was located as well as the start and finish line.

At the Stadium. On Sunday morning it looked completely different. Full of runners and barriers to show the way.

My lovely hosts: Maya and Marijn

We've met them picking bibs. They run dressed up in national dutch clothes. They've even had clogs imitation over they running shoes.

Ready? Jump!

I amsterdam. This is the one in front of Olympic Stadium. There is also one in front of  Rijksmuseum and the third one that "travels".

Rijksmuseum. I'm so small.

Cheese....
In the day of the run we woke up rather early. Had our breakfast (of course everyone according to they running routines and habits) and headed to the Stadium. As we were in Amsterdam, Netherlands we had to go there by bike. That was fun. Marijn had his own bike and I was at the back of Maya's bike. That was a little bit tyrying to hold your legs in the air all the time.
 
Heading off
We got to the Stadium rather early and had plenty of time. But in the end it seemed too short. Lines to the toilets were enormous and I've barely made it to the start. Well there is never enough of those portable cabins.
 
Anyways, we made it and the whole fun's started. For the first 16 km I've been kept busy cause I've been on the phone and that worked really well. I've almost not realised that I've reached that far. And that was already half way along the Amstel river. We were running among fields, wind mills and tiny houses. 
 
People made small stands in front of their possessions and were distributing water. That was really touching. What was also touching was, when I've received a sponge from a man who must have been the age of my granddad.
 
It's completely opposite to runs in Poland where the volunteers are school kids, and here elder people. Even my massage was made by a woman in her 60ties. So different.
 
I don't remember the second half of the run. Even if I have a look at the race route I'm not really able to recall the way and where we were running. I just remember that the last part lead through Vondelpark and I was exhausted there. But still I was wondering if I'll be able to find my long-sleeve which I've dropped there at the beginning. Hilarious.
 
When I've reached the finish line with my personal best I was almost crying from the happiness. Or maybe from the tiredness? Dunno.
 
This is almost the end of the marathon run. On the left you can also see the half marathon timer. There was also 8km run and multiple runs for kids.

Marijn reaching the finish line
At the finish line

The end

 

No comments:

Post a Comment